Use of head scarves pin and their consequences in young Muslim girls in Kashmir
Author(s): Tariq Ahmed Mala, Syeed Rayees Ahmad and Shahid Amin Malla
Abstract:Background: Foreign body ingestion is not so common in day today life but the recent change in increase in use of veil by Muslim girls has shown an upward trend in the accidental ingestion of these things. Foreign bodies with smooth edge are usually harmless with spontaneous passage while with sharp edge may have serious consequences in the form of bowel perforation of obstruction. The aim of our study was to evaluate and educate the young Muslim girls about the use and complication of hair pins.
Methods: In this study 130 patients were admitted with the history of ingestion of foreign bodies in the department of Surgery, Government Medical College Srinagar over a period of two year from May 2016 to April 2018. All patients were evaluated including base line investigation, series of abdominal radiographs and frequent abdominal examinations. Results: Majority of patients were females in the age group of 11-20 with 71 (54.61%) of patients. Head scarf pins were the commonest foreign body in 78 (60%) of female patients. Maximum number of patients was managed conservatively.
Conclusion: The rising trend in the ingestion of metallic foreign bodies especially hair pins need to be used with precautions to prevent serious health hazards like bowel perforation.