Manuscript Writing Service
International Journal of Surgery Science
Printed Journal   |   Indexed Journal   |   Refereed Journal   |   Peer Reviewed Journal

Vol. 3, Issue 3, Part B (2019)

Effect of topical nifedipine in treatment of chronic anal fissure

Author(s): Dr. Chanadrashekaraiah KC and Dr. Chinnabovi
Abstract: Chronic anal fissure is the most common cause of anal pain associated with internal anal sphincter hypertonia. Reduction of hypertonocity is a special treatment for fisssure healing. For this purpose chronic anal fissure were conventionally treated by anal dilatation or by lateral sphincterotomy. However, both of these methods may cause a degree of incontinence in some patients. The uptake of medical therapies that create a reversible chemical sphincterotomy has recently become widespread. The aim of this study is to assess the effectiveness of nifedipine in heling anal fissure, a calcium channel blocker that reduces sphincter pressure. An observational study conducted with 100 patients of chronic anal fissures treated with 0.3% nifedipine and 1.5% lignocaine. A net 52(52%) patients got there fissures healed with nifedipine. Remaining 48(48%) patients underwent surgery and there fissures healed with out complication. 4(4%) patients reported mild head ache with nifedipine use. Even though significant number of fissures heal with nifedipine recurrence is common. Another finding is low complication rate with nifedipine.
Pages: 82-83  |  4397 Views  2859 Downloads


International Journal of Surgery Science
How to cite this article:
Dr. Chanadrashekaraiah KC, Dr. Chinnabovi. Effect of topical nifedipine in treatment of chronic anal fissure. Int J Surg Sci 2019;3(3):82-83. DOI: https://doi.org/10.33545/surgery.2019.v3.i3b.152
 
International Journal of Surgery Science
Call for book chapter