Manuscript Writing Service
International Journal of Surgery Science
Printed Journal   |   Indexed Journal   |   Refereed Journal   |   Peer Reviewed Journal

Vol. 3, Issue 3, Part F (2019)

Management of ulcerative colitis in sample of Iraqi patients

Author(s): Dr. Khalid Jasim Daham, Dr. Kadhim Ismaiel Hamel and Dr. Sarmad Ahmed Khorsheed
Background: Ulcerative Colitis (UC) is a chronic inflammatory disease involving the colon, with alternating periods of remission and activity. Exacerbations can be severe and associated with complications and mortality. Diagnosis of severe UC is based on clinical, biochemical and endoscopic variables.
Objective: To assess the management of ulcerative colitis.
Method: A descriptive cross-sectional study was carried out in the Al-Hakim general hospital, in the period between January 2015 and December 2018. The study was constituted by all the elderly patients of 19 years old and more, with a confirmed diagnosis of Ulcerative colitis that are admitted to the hospital. We studied 176 patients with UC who collected the inclusion criteria and accepted to participate in the study.
Results: The average of patients were 44.8 ± 16.5 years, female were dominant than male with 2:1 ratio. Regarding to the smoking 31 (17.6%) patients were smokers and the rest 145 (82.4%) were not. The oral administration of Sulfasalazine, Mesalazine and prednisolone were the most used. As a treatment adjuvant, the most commonly used medications were folic acid, vitamins, zinc sulfate, probiotics, iron and nutritional supplements.
Conclusion: The most frequent causes that motivated the surgical treatment were stenosis and colorectal cancer.
Pages: 344-348  |  2159 Views  852 Downloads
How to cite this article:
Dr. Khalid Jasim Daham, Dr. Kadhim Ismaiel Hamel, Dr. Sarmad Ahmed Khorsheed. Management of ulcerative colitis in sample of Iraqi patients. Int J Surg Sci 2019;3(3):344-348. DOI:
International Journal of Surgery Science
Call for book chapter