Manuscript Writing Service
International Journal of Surgery Science
Printed Journal   |   Indexed Journal   |   Refereed Journal   |   Peer Reviewed Journal
International Journal of Surgery Science
Vol. 4, Issue 4, Part D (2020)

The accuracy of ultrasound study in the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome in comparison with nerve conduction study

Author(s): Dr. Sarmad Raheem Muslim, Dr. Israa Abbas Alia and Dr. Saad Shayeaa Shubrem
Abstract: Back ground: Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) is one of the most common upper limb compression neuropathies. CTS accounts for approximately 90% of all entrapment neuropathies. The diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) is mainly based on clinical findings and nerve conduction study. It has been recently suggested that ultrasonography (U/S) can be used to diagnose CTS.
Aim of study: The aim of this study is to determine the accuracy of Ultrasound (U/S) in diagnosis of (CTS) in comparison with nerve conduction study (NCS) of median nerve.
Patient and Methods: The study was a comparative cross sectional study, which done in ALshaheed Gazi AL-Hariri Hospital for specialized surgery/Baghdad–Iraq, From June 2011 to May 2012. sample included 40 patients who met the inclusion criteria they were 37 (92.5%) females, with a mean age was 38.74 ± 6.7 years range (22- 52 years), in addition, 3 (7.5%) males with a mean age was 38.83 ± 6.35years range (39-47), the mean age for all patients (40) was 38.76 ± 6.6., and 80 Asymptomatic healthy comparison group. 72 of them (90%) were females with a mean age 37.8 ± 7.43 years range (25–53 years), and the remaining 8 comparision group 10% were males with a mean age 38.4 ± 6.3 ranges (23-52), and the mean age of all comparision group was 38.1 ± 6.5. All subjects in both groups were underwent and U/S and NCS, then the Statistical analysis for the results were done.
Results: The Ultrasound signs show the following results: AP diameter of median nerve: show accuracy rate, sensitivity, specificity, as 80%, 78%, 81% respectively. Cross sectional area of median nerve: show accuracy rate, sensitivity, and specificity, as 85%, 85%, 85 respectively.
Conclusions: 1. CTS is mainly affect middle age females. 2. We can concluded that sonography can be adds a benefit in diagnosis of CTS. 3. U/S has potential advantages to other diagnostic tools as availability, shorter Examination time and non-invasive.
Pages: 199-207  |  429 Views  195 Downloads
How to cite this article:
Dr. Sarmad Raheem Muslim, Dr. Israa Abbas Alia, Dr. Saad Shayeaa Shubrem. The accuracy of ultrasound study in the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome in comparison with nerve conduction study. Int J Surg Sci 2020;4(4):199-207. DOI: https://doi.org/10.33545/surgery.2020.v4.i4d.557
International Journal of Surgery Science